VAA: ALIGNING COMMS ACTIVITY
Virgin Atlantic Airlines (VAA)’s Communications team had been developing its comms plan and now needed external input to help them continue to evolve it.
VAA wanted to know: was it on the right flight path to achieving its goals, or would it need to reassess its route? Our task was to review the plan and then to assess comms activity in line with the goals.
We used our The Four Pillars™ communications measurement methodology to review:
- the Comms plan: was it based on sound principles and best practice?
- the intranet: how did the layout, navigation and tone compare with the approach taken by other organisations?
- the monthly newsletter: did it reflect VAA and how close was it to being a ‘best in class’ publication?
- face-to-face channels: how effective were they in cascading information through the business?
- the writing and tone of voice guidelines: how well were the comms channels reflecting them?
This assessment involved a combination of desk research and small group interviews with members of the Comms team and stakeholders from around the business.
Our final report highlighted what was working well and where there was room for improvement.
We set out a series of recommendations, from instant wins to longer-term projects, and concluded by outlining 10 questions that the Comms team needed to resolve before moving forward. The Comms team used the insights to shape team workshops as it set out its longer-term plans.